What are Rodenticides? Rodenticides are pesticides that will kill rodents, including many other wildlife animals, pets and even children if they ingest it. Attractive formulas
that are used as bait include, peanut butter or molasses. Primary poisoning is when an
animal eats the bait directly, and secondary poisoning is caused by eating poisoned prey. It is also called relay toxicosis. Rodenticides are used short-term to control rodent infestations.
These poisons, or rodenticides, pose a serious risk to public health and our
environment. They are toxic products that cause severe health damage and even death
in lots of nontargeted wildlife; rabbits, racoons, even dogs, cats, and people! Because of
their toxicity, and the weak safety standards for their use and distribution, rodenticides
are a serious threat to any living thing that accidentally ingests them.
There are several types of rodenticides. The most dangerous on the market are second-
generation anticoagulant rodenticides. These are super toxic! Super-toxic rodenticides
are slow-acting substances that block the synthesis of vitamin K necessary for normal
blood clotting, causing the rodent or animal to bleed uncontrollably and die slow and
agonizing deaths. Brodifacoum, bromadiolone, difethialone and difenacoum are also
used and they allow rodents to ingest them multiple times before dying.
Cases of secondary poisoning are potentially disastrous for others like hawks, owls, fox,
coyote. While some rodenticide-poisoned wildlife can recover if found and treated in
time, many inevitably perish.
NATURAL & SAFE PEST-CONTROL METHODS
*Remove all sources of food, water, and shelter outdoors near your home to discourage rodents, mice.
*Dispose of the garbage in your home regularly and keep garbage pails sealed tight
*Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the structure using caulk, steel wool or a
combination of both.
*Replace loose weatherstripping around the foundation, attic & windows & use sweep seals under doors (rodents can squeeze through the teeny, tiniest spaces!)
*Keep compost piles, grass cuttings, tree trimmings far away from the house.
*Do not store firewood close to the house.
*Keep attics, basements, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
*Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
*Repair any damaged screens.
*Keep exterior doors always closed.
*If you have a bird feeder, use a squirrel guard on it to keep the rodents away
*Do not plant ivy. Ivy can be a “rodent’s ladder” to your windows, attics. and other rooms in your home.
*Prevention is #1 in practicing safe, non-toxic rodent control. It is highly effective before and after rodent infestation breaks out.